The Arizona Masonry Council is developing and implementing programs in the following areas:
- Hiring of a structural engineer and the establishment of the Arizona Structural Masonry Coalition. The coalition will serve as a resource to the engineering community by providing deisgn assistance, technical service and in some cases project-specific consultation and hands-on training in masonry design software. Our collective goal is to assist owners/designers in the design of the buildings that satisfy building code requirements and design objectives while taking full advantage of the efficiencies of structural masonry.
- Release of Annual Arizona Masonry Cost Study – A cost comparison of masonry and comepetitive wall systems in Phoenix, Tucson and Northern Arizona.
- Designing Energy Efficient Concrete Masonry Structures Series – Provide designers with guidance on how to design code-compliant and energy efficient concrete masonry structures utilizing resources like COMcheck and allowable mass wall exemption allowed by code.
- Development of Plan Review and Building Inspector Education Series – Provide building inspectors, plan reviewers and inspectors with the latest information on masonry code changes.
- Development of Fire Safety / Non-Combustible Systems Programs – Educational presentation and PR campaign focused on increasing awareness of concrete masonry’s non-combustible properties and its importance in creating affordable, safe and secure structures.
- Specification Reviews – Ensure architectural firms’ master masonry specifications are in line with current masonry material standards, code references, terminology and construction practices and include reference to AMG Standard 107 – Levels of Quality and AMG Certified Block Testing Program.
- Masonry Technology Education Series – Provide A/E/GCs with training on the latest masonry technologies (programs/apps) such as Masonry iQ and BIM-M to streamline and simplify designing with concrete masonry.
- Development and implementation of comprehensive social media engagement strategy to promote the benefits and advantages of concrete masonry.